[RC5] Linux boot disks

Stephen Thorne sjthorne at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 22 21:36:30 EDT 2000

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 07:20:24PM +0000, Andrew Frank wrote:
> I personally am better at using *nix from a user's prospective than an
> admin's perspective, so even simple things like mounting/unmounting a floppy
> or CD-ROM can be a pain for me.  I don't know how small you can get it.  As
> one person who would use it, this is what would be useful to me (just
> suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em).
This is a *major* thread on linux-kernel currently, probably 30ish posts
already, discussing viable alternatives.. Diskette's more than CD's,
investigate automount - for CD's.

> First, it would be nice if the disk were formatted with a standard 1.44MB
> format, that way the buffers can be fetched/flushed by sneakernetting the
> whole disk into virtually any 'net connected computer (Windows, Linux, MacOS
> anyway).
1.772 meg is possible.

> Second, SMP support would be cool, but as of yet, I think most SMP boxes
> have hard drives so this isn't as important.
Granted, but who is going to install linux on a SMP boxen just to get a
little higher keyrate during the night? SMP support isn't very big
kernelsizewise...

> Third, inclusion of tools like uptime, top would be nice (I don't know
> what's built into the kernel and what isn't, but those would be nice if they
> just magically worked somehow).
>
> Fourth, the ability to set/change passwords, create accounts would be
> cool.  As well, enough free space to use it as an internet connection
> sharing router would be nice.  I realize that this is really pushing what
> can be done in 1.39MB though, so I'd be surprised to see it.
Have a look at tomsrtbt at www.toms.net - its a 1.772 meg floppy (yes,
you can use any high density floppy for this, provided it has no errors)
with user accounts and basic utilities and stuff. I have a copy sitting
on my wall labelled "mega emergency boot disk".

> >I'm tempted to take that project on... it shouldn't be too hard... a
> >simple minix disk with a kernel and the recent dnetc (8007)... build the
> >kernel solid and small, give the flexability to only load the kernel
> >module to support the ethernet card. Perhaps a script for a full blown
> >linux box to build the disk and it's configuration...

Again, www.toms.net

Steve.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net