[RC5] Getting the maximum performance out of a single processor machine

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jun 21 21:07:10 EDT 2000

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 10:50:21PM +0100, cyb97 wrote:
> you probably would need to have a root disk too... The kernel would be about 300-400KB (depence really on your hardware)
> and then you would need a couple of utilities... ls is always nice... so I recommend getting something like the slackware disks
> (1 root and 1 boot) and then refurbish the root disk to suite you and stuff dnetc on it etc....

 Two disks would be lame.  If you leave out most of the tools, and use ash
for a shell, you would have plenty of space, esp if you use a compressed
ramdisk image.  (of course, if the computer is really old this might not be
so good...)

 If you run out of space, use a 1.0 kernel or something.  They're smaller.

> I'll be doing this myself soon, so I'll try to compile a FAQ/HOWTO on the matter if I succede? (I will, because this should
> be straight forward stuff)

 cool.  It might not be that hard to write a shell script that makes a boot
disk after asking a few questions to figure out what to compile into the
kernel and how to configure the network.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net