[RC5] Linux boot disks

Julian Smith julians at dukenukemcity.com
Thu Jun 22 10:38:17 EDT 2000

There are several single disk versions of linux kicking around, I have
tried floppix (http://floppix.ccai.com/) which allows user creation
and has inetd demon to allow remote management of these 'diskless'
clients, It is also a good educational tool for teaching people basic
unix commands because it is nearon impossible to wipe out your hard
drive, I have several boxes running this linux system, all using 3c509
3com ethernet cards, all of the operating system is run in RAM and the
dnet program run quite happly.

The obvious problem is that if you loose power you loose everything, but
if you network several of these machines together and have a proxy server
with a harddrive to collect and dispense keys which in turn forwards the
keys to one of the official key servers you should have no problem.

Also there are some good links from tomsrtbt home page
(http://www.toms.net/rb/) there are many single disk versions of linux
amongst others.

Another usefull document is the LINUX-HOWTO boot disks

Julian Smith
julian at dukenukemcity.com
KEYS nimrod at dukenukemcity.com