[RC5] Getting the maximum performance out of a single processor machine

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jun 21 21:54:30 EDT 2000

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 11:18:38PM +0530, Satya wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2000 at 21:46, Scott Campbell wrote:
>
> >I can ask my SBLUG group about that... (Shreveport/Bossier Linux User's
> >Group)  I'll get a good answer in about a day...
>
> I was trying to do this a few months ago. Recent re-acquisition of
> obsolete hardware ("I got my old computer back") prompted me to try
> again. So far I've come up with a DOS-based thingy that sucks
> like... well, it sucks.
>
> Here's the mail I sent to my LUG:
>
> #I have a Pentium 60MHz headless keyboardless box with only a floppy drive
> #(that too shared manually (power down, switch drives, power up) between 2
> #computers) and 16MB (wasted, EDO) RAM. It has a display card.
>
> #Now, I want a single-floppy linux installation on that. Requirements:
> #Enough free space for dnetc executable
> #Serial port telnet (null modem connection)
> #Single luser mode
>
> They came up with Trinux DLF and a few other pointers. Now for my next
> problem: How to log into this box on the serial port via null-modem.

 If you've already got a ppp or slip connection (which would be the easiest
way to get blocks to and from the client), then run telnetd.  If that takes
too much ram, you could run a shell from inetd.  (you wouldn't get line
editting because it wouldn't be a tty or pty (pseudo-terminal), but you
could run non-interactive commands.)  Actually, mini-inetd would be good here:

mini-inetd 23 -sh /bin/sh  # !*** don't try this until you read below ***!
(listen on the telnet port.)  Make sure you're behind a firewall!  Do _not_
run this on your internet-connected computer, it will allow access to your
account with _no_ password!

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net