[RC5] Linux boot disks

cyb97 cyb97 at noxtension.com
Thu Jun 22 02:41:39 EDT 2000

on 20.06.2000 20:20:24, the guilty party (ie. "Andrew Frank"), stuck his/her head out with the following anouncement:
>That'd be great if you did.  When you're done, at the very least, you should
>get yourself a link from the FAQ-o-matic so that people will be able to find
>it.
>I personally am better at using *nix from a user's prospective than an
>admin's perspective, so even simple things like mounting/unmounting a floppy
>or CD-ROM can be a pain for me.  I don't know how small you can get it.  As
>one person who would use it, this is what would be useful to me (just
>suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em).
>First, it would be nice if the disk were formatted with a standard 1.44MB
>format, that way the buffers can be fetched/flushed by sneakernetting the
>whole disk into virtually any 'net connected computer (Windows, Linux, MacOS
>anyway).
>Second, SMP support would be cool, but as of yet, I think most SMP boxes
>have hard drives so this isn't as important.
>Third, inclusion of tools like uptime, top would be nice (I don't know
>what's built into the kernel and what isn't, but those would be nice if they
>just magically worked somehow).
>Fourth, the ability to set/change passwords, create accounts would be
>cool.  As well, enough free space to use it as an internet connection
>sharing router would be nice.  I realize that this is really pushing what
>can be done in 1.39MB though, so I'd be surprised to see it.
>Andrew
SMP support is just a couple of kilobytes... There wouldn't really be any
mounting involved... if the distro spans more than 1 disk the kernel
will ask for the next disk automatically not involving anything....
Well we have to use 1.44 disks because there aren't really any choice, if we want
to be 100% compatible with x86... While macOS machines concern.. I haven't touched
a Mac in months and won't take on the responsibility of compiling motorola kernels
since i haven't got any hardware to test one... If someone gives me a mac, then ofcourse
I will, but the likely hood is small.. So we'll see...

Uptime, top, passwords and account will be there, they are all fundamental parts of
a linux distro.. (well uptime and top isn't) but passwords and accounts are...

--
andreas landmark
cyb97 / noXtension

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net