[RC5] Getting the maximum performance out of a single processor machine

Paul Everett repton at repton.org
Sun Jun 25 21:42:50 EDT 2000

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Peter Cordes wrote:

>  Two disks would be lame.  If you leave out most of the tools, and use ash
> for a shell, you would have plenty of space, esp if you use a compressed
> ramdisk image.  (of course, if the computer is really old this might not be
> so good...)
>  If you run out of space, use a 1.0 kernel or something.  They're smaller.

Its actually not all that hard to fit everything onto one floppy. I did
this whilst at Uni. The floppy had on it a 2.0.3x kernel, a few libs, a
dhcp client, the rc5des client, bash1, and telnet. This meant we could
boot the dos/win3.11 (ugh) machines into linux and then telnet to a
"proper" (i.e. one with more disk space than a floppy) linux box from
where we could do whatever else we wanted to do.

If I remember right, I just started with a minimal set of files and kept
copying things from my Slackware 3.x based box until it worked. All the
stuff in /etc/rc.d was tweaked to not run anything we didn't need. The
ramdisk image had to be compressed to make it fit (after all, the kernel
was ~350k, bash 1.14.7 on my current box is 300k, and the rc5des client is
over ~600k. That doesn't leave anywhere near enough space for all the
other stuff you need.

If anyone is interested, I'll have a dig around and try to find the floppy
image. It must be around somewhere...

Paul

--
Paul Everett                                 Microsoft is not the answer.
repton at repton dot org                       Microsoft is the question.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net