[RC5] dnetc Windows 95/98/NT Install Packaging

Chris Eaton tridus at inforamp.net
Tue Jun 27 16:47:09 EDT 2000

User friendliness doesn't seem to be on the dnet priority list these days.
Trying to guide a non tech savvy person through setting up the client right
now is an exercise in futility. Thats why I don't bother recruiting
anymore, people just get horribly frustrated when they try to configure the
client and get completely lost by the sea of options and lack of anything
resembling an easy to use interface. (aka: I severely miss the GUI Client,
it was the single biggest thing I had to recruit people with, the fact that
they could *easily* set it up and be doing something cool)

I guess on the same track, if the client is so hard to configure that only
tech savvy people have any prayer of using it, those people can probably
also use a zipfile and don't need the easy to use installer.

If you are looking for something to help people out, I could probably
concoct a WSH Script easily enough that would ask where they want it (and
try to read from the registry to find where an existing client is), and
accept input for the basic options like email address, and then install the
client for them.
--
"Curiousity may have killed the cat, but lack of it is slowly killing
humanity..."

Chris
http://home.inforamp.net/~tridus/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net