[RC5] Value of CPU time?

Wilson, Bruce bwilson at fers.com
Mon Mar 6 12:35:13 EST 2000

Interesting calculations.  However, I think if that model was used,
you'd have to slope the costs somewhat, based on the current cost or
value of the CPU, not just because the price comes down, but because
many people will use the computer longer than 3 years.  If payment were
the incentive, you'd want to continue to pay people after 3 years,
because the value of the work done is not zero.

You also need to take into account people who buy an older machine at a
reduced price.

Realistically, I don't think these numbers are anywhere close to
achievable.  If we (distributed.net) could afford to compensate 200K
participants in the amount of 50% of their computers, we'd be better
off buying 50K computers of our own, which we could control and run at
100% all the time.  The increase in reliability and responsiveness
would easily offset the loss in overall  CPU power.

__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com
PGP KeyID: 5430B995, http://www.geocities.com/bruce-wilson/

"In your CONFIG.SYS, you forgot to specify BUGS=OFF."