[RC5] athlon slooooow

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Sat Mar 4 15:38:00 EST 2000

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, john wrote:

> hi, i just got an athlon 700 and while im aware that there is no athlon
> optimized core yet, i really thought it would be able to at least brute
> force better than im seeing.  i benchmarked all cores in the current dnetc
> client and can do no better than 301,000 keys/s.  i thought i was reading
> it wrong at first, but that is indeed the case.  then i thought maybe the
> bench was just off, ran it for a bit and never broke 300 kkeys/s.  this
> machine is running win98.  my sun ultra5 running redhat does better than
> this athlon...its a sad sad day.  anyone know wtf?

	I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly, but my K7 did the same
thing when I first set it up. Mine's a 0.18 micron 650 on an FIC SD-11
running Slackware 7.0. First RC5 benchmark was at about 200kk/s. I repeated
it a couple of times, with the same results. I recompiled the kernel (which
took a little over 12 minutes), rebooted with the new kernel, and tried it
again... second time around it ripped through the benchmark at just a hair
under 2Mk/s. I recompiled the kernel again (full rebuild with the same
settings) just for fun... 2 minutes, 15 seconds.

	So it's not just the RC5 client that's affected... kernel compiles
were as well, and other compiles seemed slow too, though the kernel is the
only one I got hard numbers on. Oddly, the bogomips hang right at 647
whether it's decided to be slow or fast. A reboot seems to have solved the
problem, and it's been happily cranking away at 2Mk/s ever since, even after
a couple of reboots. I'm not sure if it's the new kernel (686-optimized,
where the Slackware installation kernel was 386-optimized) or what, and I've
not had the urge to mess around with it to find out. If it is the kernel,
I'm not sure what you'd do to solve that in Windows...

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net