[RC5] Value of CPU time?

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Mar 8 06:40:30 EST 2000

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 10:18:52AM -0600, Ryan Malayter wrote:
> If you were to try something like this as a business model, a bundling deal with companies like FreePC or PeoplePC would make more sense.
>
> Having a distributed computing client automatically loaded on these machines would add almost zero cost. So the consumer would pay the same $30 per month. However, the distributed computing company would pay FreePC based on the amount of work all their subscribers do collectively.
>
> This busniess model could be extended to the Dells And Compaqs of the
world. but since they're not "renting" the machine, there might be some
issues about consumer permission and privacy, etc.

  Don't be insane.  You couldn't (in good conscience) ship systems with
something like this installed without telling people.  That would be so
hypocritical is isn't funny, unless you are one of those people ^H^H^H^Hthe
only one who was cheering for Real Networks when the news came out that
their programs did stuff behind your back.  (admittedly, it sent info about
what you were doing, not processed RC5 blocks, but you have to draw the line
somewhere.  You can see what kind of load somebody's computer is under by
looking at your list that says what you sold them and looking at their RC5
rate.  (you can do this with OGR by looking at the node count in the
returned block.)  That's not much info, especially since it averages the
load over about a day, but it is something.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net