[RC5] Value of CPU time?

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Wed Mar 8 17:26:11 EST 2000

From: Peter Cordes [mailto:peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca]

>>Don't be insane.  You couldn't (in good conscience) ship systems with
>>something like this installed without telling people.  That would be so
>>hypocritical is isn't funny, unless you are one of those people ^H^H^H^Hthe
>>only one who was cheering for Real Networks when the news came out that
>>their programs did stuff behind your back.

I'm not at all insane... have you seen the all the crap installed by default on a retail PC nowadays? There's a whole shitload of stuff installed without the buyers knowledge... much of it paid for by the software maker to increase thier market share (AOL and other ISPs, anti-virus software, and more). Many PC manufacturers install hardware monitoring applets that run constantly in the background.

So I don't see anything immoral about installing a distributed computing client on a machine that's rented from PeoplePC, so long as it is metnioned in the rental agreement. As I mentioned in my previous posts, the morality gets a bit dicier for retail PCs, but I would certainly think that it would be *legal* in most U.S. states. Perhaps it could present running the distributed client as an option at first boot. Would that still offend you?

	-ryan-

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net