[RC5] Value of CPU time?

Seth H. Bokelman seth.bokelman at uni.edu
Sat Mar 11 12:25:04 EST 2000

Absolutely, the amount of garbage on a retail PC is absolutely
shameful.  Half of those apps cause conflicts with the other, and eat
up all the RAM as well.  I don't reccomend buying a retail PC to
anyone anymore, and if anyone I knows actually buys one, I usually
advocate reformatting the drive and starting clean.  The worst of
these are the vendors like Compaq, who ship a CD with an image of the
drive as it shipped, so you don't even get a Windows CD, and can't
re-install without all the garbage.

I think that any of the groups who "give" PC's away could easily
install a client on the systems.  They already demand a ton of
information from their users, and bombard them with ads, as well as
probably tracking their web surfing habits for marketing research.  I
fail to see how a client similar to the distributed.net one would
rile anyone up, it's fairly innocuous.  It's been rumored that Corel
will be producing a Linux machine to give away with a 2 year ISP
commitment, that'd be a great place to install the clients, as the
Linux machines I've used the client on don't seem to suffer the same
ill-effects that Windows boxes do with the clients running.

- -Seth