[RC5] Value of CPU time?

ENOJON at delphi.com ENOJON at delphi.com
Tue Mar 14 16:25:26 EST 2000

<<So I don't see anything immoral about installing a distributed computing
client on a machine that's rented from PeoplePC, so long as it is metnioned
in the rental agreement. As I mentioned in my previous posts, the morality
gets a bit dicier for retail PCs, but I would certainly think that it would
be *legal* in most U.S. states. Perhaps it could present running the
distributed client as an option at first boot. Would that still offend you?

-ryan-

And, how many people would find this fine print in the agreement?

I would think once it was discovered, the negative publicity generated
would be enough to annihilate any future distributed.net projects and
participation.  And, it would also crush any market share gain from
peoplepc.com.

Most COMPAQ machines do run daemons in background/services mode for
sundry items.

However, I know some persons delight in removing them from the startup
menu and autoexec.bat files.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net