[RC5] Teraflops

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Fri Mar 17 17:05:22 EST 2000

>>I am kind of disapointed that people in sandia are running pentium pros...
>>nothing wrong with that of course, cheap and fast. but I thought that they
>>would be using some custom chips or sparcs or mips or something in that
>>effect, even crays... this is a bit off topic here but I just looked on the
>>SGI web-site for the cray info (http://www.sgi.com/t3e/overview.html) the
>>Cray T3E has a peak performance of 2.4TeraFLOPS... so I don't see why intel
>>says worlds fastest computer (maybe cause its made out of normal procs?)I
>>wonder how fast quake can run on that = \ hehehe

I don't think anyone has purchased a Cray T3E fully configured with all available CPUs, so the Intel machine at Sandia is the fastest computer currently in operation. It uses the older Pentium Pro because they were the fastest process available when the machine was first put together.

Of course, IBM's Deep Gene will soon make the Intel machine at Sandia look like a toy...

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net