[RC5] Lousy Mac 2.8007-458 performance

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Mar 21 15:41:19 EST 2000

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 01:07:05AM -0600, Ben wrote:
> mattw at winternet.com wrote:
> > I have been using the Mac GUI client version 2.7105.432, and get ~890kk/sec.  I have downloaded the latest clients as they come out, but none of the 2.8x clients get very good performance.  The latest client I have (2.8007-458) only gets ~620kk/sec.  Any other Mac users out there have similar slowdowns, or have an answer for this?    OS 8.6 on a Beige G3/266.
>

> I have no idea why, logically the newer, graphic-lacking version should
> be faster.

 I remember reading that this was because the time-sharing code was
re-written to be nicer about giving up the CPU to other processes.  dnetc
has to do this "manually" on an non-preemtive multitasking OS like MacOS.
(*cough*).  Fortunately for Mac users, the MacOS X kernel (Darwin) is based
on the 4.4BSD kernel, so it has memory protection and excellent pre-emptive
multitasking.  (finaly, an OS that doesn't suck (technically.  I won't
comment on the UI) to go with hardware which very much doesn't suck (G4...
drool :))

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/