[RC5] Linux OGR code not optimized?

Jeff Lawson jlawson at bovine.net
Mon Sep 18 22:54:32 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, [iso-8859-1] Martin Schröder wrote:

> I just noted this madness (machine is a PII/400)
> - Linux native¹ gives 1,886,314.89 nodes/sec
> - NT4² in VMWare under Linux gives 2,402,656.63 nodes/sec.
>
> Does VMWare just screw the clock or is the Linux code poorly
> optimized? Apparently it is, as
> http://n0cgi.distributed.net/speed/query.cgi?cputype=all&arch=0&contest=ogr
> shows 2,508,889 nodes/sec for a PII/400.
>
> Btw: The speed for RC5 is the same for both platforms.

The difference is because the OGR core is in portable C and not purely
assembly, which means it is subject to the efficiency of the optimizer
within the compiler being used.  The Visual C++ and Watcom win32 compilers
truthfully have a much better x86 optimizer than gcc generally does.
(The win32 client we release is generally compiled with Watcom.)

--
Jeff Lawson   http://www.bovine.net/  http://www.distributed.net/~bovine/
Jeffrey_Lawson at alumni.hmc.edu  jlawson at bovine.net  bovine at distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net