[RC5] Linux OGR code not optimized?

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Sep 20 18:19:23 EDT 2000

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 09:54:32PM -0700, Jeff Lawson wrote:
> The difference is because the OGR core is in portable C and not purely
> assembly, which means it is subject to the efficiency of the optimizer
> within the compiler being used.  The Visual C++ and Watcom win32 compilers
> truthfully have a much better x86 optimizer than gcc generally does.
> (The win32 client we release is generally compiled with Watcom.)

 Is it possible to compile the core with Watcom, and link it against the app
framework code compiled with GCC?  I would be surprised if it wasn't
possible.  You might have a problem with different object file formats, but
you could get watcom cc to produce assembly output, and assemble that with
an ELF assembler for linking with the Linux binary.  Or try objcopy.  I
think it can translate object file formats to some degree.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net