[RC5] I think we found our next contest...

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Thu Dec 6 12:38:06 EST 2001

Look, you're missing the point entirely. Assuming that a d.net AES key rate
would be similar to our current Rc5-64 key rate of 185 billion keys per
second, we would have less than a 0.00000000000000001% chance (about 1 in
10^19) of finding a 128-bit AES IN A *YEAR*! So why even try?

AES is simply to strong to crack with d.net's brute force methods. No attack
on AES that is faster than brute force has been found yet, either. AES is
essentially uncrackable with current (and foreseeable) computing technology.
Even if fast, large-scale quantum computers are invented some day, 256-bit
AES will still be safe.

Nobody in the real world - not even NSA - would ever try to crack AES
message this way. It's billions of times easier and cheaper to attack the
encrypting or decrypting users directly (with a Trojan horse program, buffer
overflow hack, random number seed guessing, keystroke logging, a gun to the
head, etc.) than it is to crack an AES encrypted message by brute force.

:::Ryan Malayter, MCSE
:::Bank Administration Institute
:::Chicago, Illinois, USA