[RC5] I think we found our next contest...

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Fri Dec 7 07:07:54 EST 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 tomdv at datatx.com wrote:

> I agree that taking on AES is a tall order. I even agree that it is
> virtually impossible to crack it. But RC5-64 itself is also running for
> more than two years now. Guess what, it is still doing fine. It is
> actually doing better than OGR-24.

	Considerably more than two years. I'm a month and a half into my
fifth year on RC5-64. However, I fully expect that we will finish the thing
before I see a sixth year. And there's a -big- difference between a five
year project and a five *billion* year project.

> The point is not so much as seeing it as an impossible thing but rather
> than the contest amongst the participants. Stats are what a lot of people
> like about RC5-64 . So from that point of view, you will have lots of
> stats and a long time lasting project.
>
> So, once RC5-64 is done and if dnet wants to have a go at AES, count me
> in.

	Go for it. But as for me, I'll commit my processor time to something
that has a chance at being useful. There are a lot of distributed computing
projects out there these days. Some of them even have stats.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  In an organization, each person rises to the level of his own
incompetency.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net