[RC5] I think we found our next contest...

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Thu Dec 13 14:05:46 EST 2001

Any government agency, domestic or foreign, or any large corporation, or
even a mafia organization could easily have the cash to match or exceed
d.net's computing power.

We've currently got the power of about 735,000 PII/266 processors. That's
about the same as 140,000 Athalon 1.4 Ghz chips, which would cost a mere
$14,000,000 in quantity. Triple that for motherboards, power and other
infrastructure, and you still get less than $50 million.

NSA's budget is certainly in the billions, perhaps tens of billions - enough
for specialized cracking chips orders of magnitude faster than general
purpose CPUs.

Even non-government entities can crack d.net-sized problems. For example,
encrypted designs for a next-gen Intel CPU could easily be brute-force
cracked by a determined AMD effort if the plans were encrypted with DES or
even a 64-bit RC5. $50 million for this effort is chump change to AMD - the
payoff is much larger.

Of course, it would probably be cheaper and easier for AMD to simply pay of
an Intel engineer with a few million, or pay some good thieves to break in
and physically steal a prototype. But those operations involve risks AMD (or
the individuals) might not be willing to take. Cracking intercepted data is
passive - there's no indication to the victim that the attacker is cracking
his codes.

:::Ryan Malayter, MCSE
:::Bank Administration Institute
:::Chicago, Illinois, USA