[RC5] I think we found our next contest...

Dave Huang khym at azeotrope.org
Thu Dec 13 17:38:04 EST 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
> And yeah, AES might take to long, but it won't be long before we can crack
> that code in 22 hours as well (under ten years.)  I haven't seen anybody
> mention the 64bit processor development.  Intel already has 64bit
> processors, and AMD is developing theirs and should have some available by
> 2003.  Of course Intel's 64bit processors are aimed at the server market,
> however, AMD's is aimed at the home market.

Dnet has had cores for 64-bit processors for years now... Intel and AMD
aren't the only CPU makers, ya know :) Alpha, SPARC, and MIPS, for
example, have 64-bit processors. Still, I don't see that we'll be able
to brute force AES any time soon. Computing power might double every 18
months or so, but AES has 4722366482869645213696 times the keys compared
to DES (and isn't there some quirk of DES that makes it fast to encrypt
with a key and its complement at the same time?). It'll take 108 years
for computing power to increase the same number of times. (And I suspect
the number of keys/second for AES is much lower than the number of
keys/second for DES on the same processor, so that'll make things take
even longer).

> I've herd the Dnet staff make mention about 64bit encryption fitting nicely
> into two 32bit registers.  Correct me if I'm wrong, AES is a 128bit
> encryption process, so it should fit nicely into two 64bit registers.

That's just a programming convenience... it's still going to take
forever, even if it does "fit nicely".

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net