[RC5] I think we found our next contest...

Andreas D. Landmark andreas.landmark at noxtension.com
Sat Dec 15 02:30:34 EST 2001

At 14.12.2001 18:09, Ryan Malayter wrote:
>Aaron W. Swenson <aswenson at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> >And yeah, AES might take to long, but it won't
> >be long before we can crack that code in 22 hours
> >as well (under ten years.)
>
>Only if large-scale quantum computers become a reality in the next decade,
>which is improbable. Other wise, it will take 108 years of Moore's law
>improvements in conventional computing power (which is also improbable,
>because of atomic size limits on transistors) before 128-bit AES is as easy
>to brute-force as DES.

No need for them to be large-scale, a small purposebuilt computer is usally
faster at do a specified task (usally the task it's purposebuilt for...=)
than a
large-scale general computer.

While I wouldn't guestimate it in the next decade, I'd hope to see
cryptographic
devices exploiting the wonders that is quantom-physics within my lifetime...

(and now it's up to you to guess my age...)

--
Andreas D Landmark / noXtension
Real Time, adj.:

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net