[RC5] Stats suggestion

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Jan 5 08:39:57 EST 2001

> The problem we face is a technical one:  Much of the speed increase I've
> attained in the rewrite of stats came from eliminating the need to
> reference the huge "historical work" table.  Instead, the total work and
> total rate are calculated from a running total.

It is possible to created an exponentially weighted running average from
just the previous days exponential average and todays total.

Exponential averages are like unix load averages from the uptime command,
if anyone has seen those.

The exponential average gives more bias to more recent results, with old
results gradually fading in significance.

This average should achieve a lot of what is needed - it stops taking into
account very old results, and can provide a reasonable summary of the
recent past.

Ben

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net