[RC5] [rc5] Performance

bwilson at fers.com bwilson at fers.com
Mon Jan 29 11:24:47 EST 2001

And yet... there's not much we can do about it.  There's no foolproof way
we can classify participants according to the number of machines
processing.  Shared buffers, sneakernet systems, dynamic IP addresses,
systems with no IP's, and multiple levels of personal proxies hide the
information we would need.  The wide variety of platforms supported makes
the ability for the client to uniquely identify a computer all but
impossible.  Without these capabilities, we can't tell the user with a
single PIII/750Mhz from one with a farm of 20 486's.  All we know for sure
is the e-mail address on the incoming work.

Without the ability to control it on our side, anything else we could
dream up would depend on voluntary compliance.  Considering we still
receive a significant amount of work from 3 year old versions of the
client, it's unlikely we'll be able to persuade the administrators to go
assign unique ID's to those computers.

Maybe we could allow people to fill in a "number of computers
contributing" field on their profile, but even that would be voluntary and
subject to, um, exaggeration.  Why would you put the real number "10" when
you can put "5" and be ranked twice as high?
__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS Business Services
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com/
PGP KeyID: 5430B995, http://www.lasthome.net/~bwilson/
"A difference that makes no difference is no difference." --Spock

"Basil A. Daoust" <basildaoust at home.com>
Sent by: owner-rc5 at lists.distributed.net
2001-01-29 10:46
Please respond to rc5