[RC5] Processor occupancy reporting (was... Fw: XWin and 100% CPU usage)

bwilson at fers.com bwilson at fers.com
Fri Jan 26 16:10:17 EST 2001

Hi, Ben.

I wouldn't classify myself as a heavy-duty Win32 programmer, but I think
I'm qualified to answer that one.

The PeekMessage and GetMessage functions mentioned are used by
applications when they are waiting for Windows to give them something to
do.  PeekMessage actively checks with Windows to see if any messages are
waiting, so a PeekMessage loop would keep asking and asking, using up CPU
cycles as it does.  GetMessage, on the other hand, leaves the application
in question basically stopped until a message is ready.  (I'm
oversimplifying a bit, but that's basically how it works).  This means the
application would not be using any CPU cycles until then.

Unfortunately, this won't help with the make-me-look-idle problem.  Unlike
applications like those mentioned here, dnetc is actually doing something
all the time.  The difference between dnetc and the "PeekMessage" app is
that PeekMessage isn't doing anything useful 99.999% of the time.
__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS Business Services
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com/
PGP KeyID: 5430B995, http://www.lasthome.net/~bwilson/
"A difference that makes no difference is no difference." --Spock

"Ben Ketteridge" <ben at lonparc.freeserve.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-rc5 at lists.distributed.net
2001-01-22 07:50
Please respond to rc5