[RC5] Stats suggestion

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Jan 5 20:15:53 EST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Dan Petrak wrote:

> The "catch up" that you're thinking of...  Does this mean you can't just
> suppress the field until the participant has been active for enough days to
> generate the first decay period?

No, the problem is that we need to compute an initial value for everyone
who is currently a participant - this needs a lot of CPU time. If this is
not done, then everyone starts off at 0 as if they hadn't been working for
the past 3 years.

The computation only needs to be done once, and only for people who are
participants now, but it would be a big one.

People who join after this has been implemented will work automatically.

I think the computation could be done over a period of several days, with
a portion of the users being computed each day - I think the algebra of
this kind of average would mean that the results can just be added
together for a user, so there wouldn't be a need for flags to indicate if
they had been done yet. This should make transition a bit easier.

--
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/travel/ for my rotating world map applet
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/benc_key.txt PGP / GPG key 0x30F06950 - please use it!

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net