[RC5] Stats suggestion

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Jan 5 21:50:45 EST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Ryan Malayter wrote:

> In any case, the 7-day exponential average is way too spiky, and the 30-day
> is basically a straight line, but 10 seems to be a good compromise.

To make pretty graphs, having it wavy looks pretty cool.

However, if the figure is being displayed as a single number, for example,
the latest average, rather than displaying a set of historical data on a
graph, I think we want the number to be fairly constant (i.e. a straight
line on your graph).

Why?

Because what I want to know is, what is the effective keyrate of my
three-machine cluster, all of which are sporadically connected and subject
to varying processor loads from other applications. I don't want the value
to increase just because no-one ran any compute-jobs on my linux machine
on a particular week.

Of course, other people will want different things from this metric.

What do other people think?

--
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/travel/ for my rotating world map applet
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/benc_key.txt PGP / GPG key 0x30F06950 - please use it!