[RC5] Stats suggestion

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sat Jan 6 09:06:14 EST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Jeff Lacy wrote:

> One that is the same for everybody and one that is whatever the participant
> selects.

I like this idea.

> Another way might be to limit the range of
> possible halflives, like say from 10-50.  What does anyone think about this?

The only problem with this is that it still allows you to bias your scores
quite a lot (with a bit more effort to submit blocks at the right time).

There are also legitimate reasons why someone might want to change their
half-life to a low or high value.

Say I have just brought a new PC and want to bring my half life up to the
new effective rate quickly: I could reduce my half life to a couple of
days for a week and then move it back to what it used to be - this will
aid converging on the new true rate.

And maybe I really do want a long term measurement with a half-life of 100
days, to get a very stable average rate.

If there is both a dnet chosen halflife and a user-chosen halflife, I vote
for no restriction on the user halflife.

--
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/travel/ for my rotating world map applet
http://www.hawaga.org.uk/benc_key.txt PGP / GPG key 0x30F06950 - please use it!

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net