[RC5] Stats suggestion

Stephen Berg sberg at pangaealink.com
Sat Jan 6 18:03:07 EST 2001

I only barely understand the math involved with the halflifes.  But I
think a standard halflife is the way to go.  D.net does rankings by
the number of blocks.  This feature should be something so a
participant has a better idea of their progress and amount of
contribution to the project.  Letting a participant change the
computation distorts that indicator.  Maybe not a lot but a little
anyway.

Just choose a reasonable formula to use and let it go.

(That makes $0.04)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:07:24 -0600, Jeff Lacy wrote:

>All right, if that would encourage cheaters, then maybe have two halflives.
>One that is the same for everybody and one that is whatever the participant
>selects.  That way, if someone has a really high average, then just don't
>look at it and only look at the average that everyone uses because the high
>one is probably inaccurate.  Another way might be to limit the range of
>possible halflives, like say from 10-50.  What does anyone think about this?
>Just my $0.02 worth :-)

                            Stephen Berg
//-    USAF Instructor  -/-  Reluctant NT User -/- Web Designer    -//
//-                 Home = sberg at mississippi.com                   -//
//-                Work = stephen.berg at osan.af.mil                 -//
//-     http://iceberg.3c0x1.com/   -/-   http://www.3c0x1.com     -//

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net