[RC5] porting the dnetc client to DEC VAX/VMS 5.5-2 or DEC VAX/OpenVMS 7.2

Dan Sugalski dan at sidhe.org
Sat Jan 6 10:57:12 EST 2001

At 10:41 AM 1/6/01 -0500, chicks at chicks.net wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>
> > I did the second release of the Dnet client for VMS. It was alpha only
> > mainly because that's what I had convenient. I'm not sure you'd get
> > that much in the way of keyrate out of a VAX--they're rather old as
> > CPUs go and just not all that fast, relatively speaking.
>
>Yes, but the geek factor in running RC5 on your vax (preferably in the
>garage) is just quite vast.  :-)

Garage? Nah, might as well keep 'em inside where the extra heat will help.
(They keep my spare room rather toasty :) Anyway, at the point that I built
the client, which was a while ago, it should have built on VAXes, though
I'm not 100% sure you'd get all the functionality without some significant
work. It should (or would have been) pretty straightforward to at least get
a block crunching version, though, assuming you used the latest C++ compiler.

					Dan

dan at sidhe.org                         have teddy bears and even
                                      teddy bears get drunk

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net