[RC5] Stats suggestion

Arne Heizmann ajh65 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 6 19:34:28 EST 2001

Hi,

> Say I have just brought a new PC and want to bring my half life up to
> the new effective rate quickly: I could reduce my half life to a
> couple of days for a week and then move it back to what it used to be
> - this will aid converging on the new true rate.

Going back to the problem about what halflife to choose for the fixed
exp.avrg.: How about starting with a two-day halflife for one week, then
setting it on 7 days for a month and finally setting it on 30 days (or
whatever value d.net will choose in the end) forever? This will help you
get an accurate value quickly and will not discourage people because it
goes up so slowly.

Only problem with this is it's difficult to do with new participants...

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net