[RC5] Request for FIFO

Marco Tedaldi marco at tedaldi.net
Tue Jan 9 21:23:06 EST 2001

On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 13:10:05 -0600, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:

>The machine on which I run OGR is off-line, and I have to
>"schedule" forming a link for it to access distributed.net.
>My "schedule" was derailed when the units of work I was
>assigned on a particular download turned out to require only
>ONE TENTH the time to process than the units I normally get.

That with Newer Clients... there are not Block counted, there
are Workunits. And A Block can consist of many Workunits.
This could be the Problem. This way the Problem of non
calculateable Times to compute the Blocks is solved.

>My problem could be solved if there was a way for the dnetc
>program to finish-up the previously-fetched work and only then
>start on the newly-fetched work.  Here is a proposal I have made
>before; I believe it would be relatively *easy* to implement:

The Solution is in the newe generation of clients.. they do
FIFO...

>  -  [There is no need to change the existing LIFO logic in
>      the dnetc program, since the user who wants to control
>      queueing will allow the *current* queue to be emptied;
>      meanwhile he can bring subsequent work into the *other*
>      input queue ! ]
It is already changed... take a look at the changes.txt

bye
and sorry for my poor english...

Marco

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net