[RC5] Re: Wierd problem with win32 Client.

Mike Insch mike at vofka.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 22:18:39 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Arne Heizmann <ajh65 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: <rc5 at lists.distributed.net>
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: [RC5] Re: Wierd problem with win32 Client.

> > > Hi,
> > Hi.
> Hi!
Me Again...

> > [...]
> > > I use the client in a DOS Box, and start it manually
> > > every time my PC boots, via Start --> Run.
> > >
> > > Sometimes (around 1 in 5 times), when I run the
> > > program this way, There is nothing displayed by the
> > > program, and no key crunching takes place, however,
> > > [...]
> > [...]
> But maybe it's something else. How do you know no key crunching is taking
> place? Do you have a program that measures its CPU usage? If not, maybe

I have tools which measure the CPU Usage, so I am sure there is no key crunching
happening...

> key crunching IS taking place and keeping Windows busy so it doesn't feel
> the necessity to update the window. Maybe pressing <ENTER> will make
> Windows update the window and solve this too. Alternatively you can press
> <ALT>+<ENTER> to show the text mode full screen.

I thought of that too (I've been working IT for about 8 years, so I thought of
these solutions as well) - and it doesn't make a difference to the client - key
crunching doesn't start, and there is still no output from the client.

> However, may I ask why you are using the one that runs in a text mode
> window? Why don't you use the other one (dnetc.exe rather than dnetc.com);
> it requires less CPU time to update the window, and it can be minimized
> into the system tray.

Umm, That would be because I am a DOS-freak...  I *really* dislike most GUI's,
and use Linux in Text/Console mode on my other machines.

> Also, is there any particular reason why you don't put it in your startup
> folder but run it manually every time?

That would be because The machine is only a P233/MMX, but I also have a TV
Capture Card and SCSI CD-RW drive in the machine.  I shut the DNet client down
when using the TV Card or the CD-RW Drive, and reboot once I am done.  However,
there are times I don't want DNet to start.  Just personal preference really...
--
Regards, Mike Insch, CCA, DipHE                        | www.vofka.co.uk
                __ _                             _     | www.vofka.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net