[RC5] Stats suggestion

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jan 10 21:21:29 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 12:16:59AM -0400, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 08:14:30AM +0200, Flower wrote:
> >
> > Here is another one:
> >
> > Make a sum a do a division _once_. After that take that value divide it by
> > a factor (or make a logarithm to be more natural) and medium this to the
> > today value. This keeps the historical data in their place and will give
> > us a ponderated (by time) media of each work.
>
>  It's not the math that hurts, it's the data accesses.

 Sorry, I didn't understand what you were saying.  A more careful reading
shows that your suggestion is the exponentially decaying average that has
grabbed everyone's attention.  That _is_ a good idea.  Sorry I openned my
mouth before taking the time to completely figure out what you said!

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net