[RC5] Stats suggestion

Jack Beglinger jackb_guppy at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 14 00:26:01 EST 2001

> > Basic rule - do not calculate on days no blocks are recieved.
> >   Same as current average.  Your last average reminds forever.
>
> If you do that, your "average" will show about twice your true rate if you
> only flush every two days.

Nope - try the process.  I will send anyone a copy of my own stats - big drop
outs...  Both graphics look the same... Those with zero for days that are
missing  -- those with the zeros calculated in the process,

Day N = 100 blocks
Day N+1 = 0 blocks
Day N+2 = 0
Day N+3 = 100

Ten day half life - 0 is starting amount

everyday method:

N = Avg = 0 * 9/10 + 100 * 1/10 = 10
N+1 = Avg = 10 * 9/10 + 0 * 1/10 = 9
N+2 = Avg = 9 * 9/10 + 0 * 1/10 = 8.1
N+3 = Avg = 8.1 * 9/10 + 100+ 1/10 = 17.29

Only on flush day:

n = Avg = 0 * 9/10 + 100 * 1/10 = 10
n+3 = Avg = 10 * 9/10 * 9/10 * 9/10 + 100 + 1/10 =  17.29

(9/10 ^ 3 - for the three days that passed)

> If you stop flushing, the average is supposed to drop.

I agree and I prefer - The powers that be don;t wnat to change the average
method method -- would make people upset - so I adapted to match the
need.

jackb