[RC5] ATARI ST?

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Jan 15 04:08:20 EST 2001

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 05:41:05PM +0100, Henning Eiben wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I still have some ATARI ST machines sitting around here, and I was wondering
> if it's possible to run the dnet-client on these machines. Well, there
> doesn't seem to be a port to ATARI TOS, but maybe I could run another OS on
> my ATARI.
>
> Well, at first I was thinking of Linux, but unfortunatly I don't have enough
> RAM and no harddisk ... but how about some kind of DOS?
>
> Has anyone a suggestion for me?

 Try MiNT.  Mint is Not TOS.  everyone from the MiNT project is working on
Linux now, but MiNT was stable long before development stopped.  MiNT is
probably closer to Unix than TOS.  I didn't know enough about Unix to notice
this when I was still interested in Ataris, though, so I'm guessing here.
(I never ran it, and I don't know how well it does on a 1MB ST.)  If you
just want a shell, gulam works ok.  (Gulam's pretty quirky, though, and has
a kind of CSH syntax.  There are probably better ones, esp if you are good
with bash.  Bash itself would take more that the whole main memory!)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net