[RC5] Security risks?

Pedro J. Cabrera pjcabrera at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 21 17:33:29 EST 2001

> "Due to the increased risk of network intrusion faced by us on a daily
> basis, it has been decided not to permit applications like distributed
> network computing to run on our network.  It opens a permanent connection
> to the internet.  This is unacceptable."

Not true, and this is not a risk.  The client occasionally opens a temporary
connection to some other server's LISTENING port.

If the client opened a LISTENING port, that would be a potential risk.
Occasionally connecting to a listening server is exactly what a web browser
does.  Is this moron security-expert-wannabe going to shut down all web
access too?

Pedro

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net