[RC5] [rc5] Performance

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Jan 30 21:17:16 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 09:01:19PM +0100, Jeroen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just a little hint to possibly a little better performance.
>
> When I bought my PC it was a P2-350. I've sold my CPU to somebody and bought a Celeron 366
> for less money and overclocked it to 458 MHz.
> In my system was 100 MHz memory. Now running at 83 MHz.
> In my bios settings I saw the setting  "SDRAM CAS latency Time : 3"
> This can be set to a value 2 or 3.
> This is something for the speed. Fast memory can be set to 2 and slower memory to 3.
> My memory is of the slow kind so it was set to 3.
> But because it runs at 83 MHz now, it can handle the 2 setting.
> I ran a OGR benchmark (I'm running OGR only, no RC5) and get 1.8 Million something/sec.
> When I set it to 2 and run the benchmark again I get 2.3 Million something/sec.
> A big change! I was happy ;-)
>
> So, if you're just like me an overclocker, you can probably check this setting in your bios.
>
> Regards,
>   Jeroen

 Interesting.  I thought OGR would fit in the cache, and so would not be
affected by this.  (I haven't really looked at the code, though :)  However,
I would be really surprised if RC5 rate depended on memory latency, since
RC5 stays almost totally in L1 cache.  Of course, even if you do run just
RC5, you might want to change this setting, if you ever use the computer for
anything other than RC5!

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net