[RC5] number of dnet users

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Mon Jul 2 03:07:38 EDT 2001

Actually, as people have pointed out, DPC is a very active team, and
probably accounts for a large number of dutch users. Due to their
motivation, it wouldn't surprise me at all if members of that team were
far more likely to fill in their country code than members at large.

18.4% of all users have entered their country code (62589/339899)
34.2% of users currently on a team have entered their country (134248)
63.2% of users currently on DPC have entered their country (3866/6118)
61.5% of users currently on DPC have NL as their country (3764/6118)
60.7$ of users with NL as their country are on DPC (3764/6197)

As you can see, DPC members are far more likely to enter their country
info than members of most teams, which is the most likely reason for the
numbers you found. Even with .33 users per 1000 people in NL, we're
still talking 0.033% of the country, a number easily swamped by the
inherant inaccuracies of the country code selection. For example, if
only 34% of DPC members had entered their country, instead of 63%, then
NL would have only 4464 users, instead of 6197. That would drop it from
0.033% to 0.022%, which is close to many of the other countries on your
list.

I think it would be very interesting for you to run your numbers on a
percentage basis, ie: 6197/62589 = 9.9% of users who have entered
country info say they're from NL. 9.9% of 339899 total users is 33654
total users in NL.

One of these days I'll have to add some non-project specific country
pages to stats. Country participation per team would be neat, too.