[RC5] Hello / kernel optimization

Kyle Markley kmarkley at seffera.net
Tue Jul 10 23:02:57 EDT 2001

Hello,

I just subscribed to the list, so my apologies if this is any breach of
etiquitte.

I have heard that the RC5 kernel for Pentium 4 is, well, slow.  I consider
myself pretty handy with an assembler so I'd like to write a new kernel.  My
problem is that I don't know much about RC5.

What's the quickest way to ramp up on what the RC5 algorithm actually does, at a
high level of abstraction?  In lieu of not finding any "How to Understand RC5"
documentation, I've looked at the existing kernel sources and I don't find them
transparent.  I figure the experts are here, so this is the right place to ask.

My particular concerns are:

  - What are the operations to be performed for each data element?  (i.e. what
do the rounds do and how do they break down?)

  - Are there any interactions between data elements that make parallelization
tricky?  (Is this what the "mangle-increment" stuff is all about?)

Thanks!

---
Kyle Markley
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net