[RC5] Hello / kernel optimization

Art Pannek mrrelaxed at foxinternet.net
Wed Jul 11 08:37:31 EDT 2001

Kyle Markley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just subscribed to the list, so my apologies if this is any breach of
> etiquitte.
>
> I have heard that the RC5 kernel for Pentium 4 is, well, slow.  I consider
> myself pretty handy with an assembler so I'd like to write a new kernel.  My
> problem is that I don't know much about RC5.
>
> What's the quickest way to ramp up on what the RC5 algorithm actually does, at a
> high level of abstraction?  In lieu of not finding any "How to Understand RC5"
> documentation, I've looked at the existing kernel sources and I don't find them
> transparent.  I figure the experts are here, so this is the right place to ask.
>
> My particular concerns are:
>
>   - What are the operations to be performed for each data element?  (i.e. what
> do the rounds do and how do they break down?)
>
>   - Are there any interactions between data elements that make parallelization
> tricky?  (Is this what the "mangle-increment" stuff is all about?)
>
> Thanks!
>
> ---
> Kyle Markley

Here is a link to the RFC that describes the RC5 algorithm.

http://sunsite.dk/RFC/rfc/rfc2040.html

And here is a link to the current RC5 challenge.

http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/challenges/secretkey/secret-key.html

Contest identifier: RC5-32/12/8

There is also a crypto FAQ on the main page. http://www.rsa.com

The "rounds" refers to expansion of the "key" in a one way algorithm.

The "expanded key" is used in the two way "block cypher" algorithm to encrypt or
decrypt.

HTH

Art Pannek

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net