[RC5] OGR info

Mike Henry dnetc at mrtickle.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 19:02:50 EDT 2001

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001 01:04:38 +0200, Tom Ribbens wrote:

>Mike Henry wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:23:17 -0700 (PDT), Michael Pelletier wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>>
>> How can I set my client to only work on OGR24 and not OGR25?
>
>You can't.  The project is the same, only the OGR24 stubs are not being
>handed out by the keymaster anymore.

Right. Thanks for a definitive answer! :)

>The 7 people working on OGR24
>still have _really_ old buff-in.ogr files, wich still store OGR24 stubs.
>I think i have read a comment from the dcti staff that they would wait
>until no one is sending more OGR24 stubs in before handing the
>unfinished OGR24 stubs to let the users still sending in the old stubs
>have a fair chance to do those stubs.

That's fair enough, but come on, how much longer are thousands of us
going to wait for 7 people? The default setting on the client is far too
high, it downloaded something like 5 weeks' worth of OGR25 blocks (slow
machine here). What if those 7 people

(a) don't take part any more?
(b) downloaded hundreds of blocks and have slow machines, meaning it'll
be another year before the blocks are returned?

>So don't startle if you happen to
>see your client doing OGR24 stubs in a couple of weeks, it's just that
>the dcti staff decided to re-hand out the unfinished stubs...

I would be delighted if we could just do it and get it out of the way.
The sooner the better.

Cheers,
Mike
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net