[RC5] Will RC5 be finished before the last member leaves?

Chris Mulcahy cmulcahy at cmulcahy.com
Sun Jul 22 12:58:49 EDT 2001

> >I been playing with RC5 Stats - nice to have a large
> database to test load
> >ideas on...
> >
> >If you been tracking the number of true new members -- i.e.
> those that are
> >new joins and not being a resubscribe and transfer of blocks.
> >
> >We get about 110 new members per day.
> >
> >Now if you look at last date a block been returned and treat
> that as the date
> >a member left.   And only look though June 1 '01 - to give
> those batch guys a
> >chance not to screw the stats....
> >
> >We are losing about 160 members per day.
> >
> >July '00 was the point where the number joining RC5 = the
> number leaving -
> >its been down hill since.
> >
> >Any comments?
>
> In the beginning it's more attractive to join a project like
> RC5 that is
> stats-based because all people have equal chances to get a
> good ranking. If
> you start later (like my team - until january 2000, we had 3 members
> ranking @ place 4xxx, now it's 30 and we're ranked 5xx), it
> gets harder
> because you first have to pass all the teams that crunched
> for two more
> years. Maybe that's why.
> And I also read a new statsbox is being set up which might
> support more
> load and for that support more detailed statistics.
>
> Bye,
>
> Boris59

Another theory is that the OGR project has been "stealing" RC5 crackers.
The clients automatically switched over to OGR when it was started,
leaving RC5 to only those people who specifically set their clients away
from the default.

It seems that most people running the client just installed it and left
things at default except, of course, the email addy.  These client
machines were switched automatically away from RC5.

Chris

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net