[RC5] Will RC5 be finished before the last member leaves?

bwilson at fers.com bwilson at fers.com
Tue Jul 24 10:49:30 EDT 2001

The technique you describe is known as "megaflushing", a practice we
discourage.

Certain teams have saved up for megaflushes in the past.  The result is often
downtime for the master, slower flushing for everyone, and sometimes delays in

statsrun.  In fact, some megaflushes have been so big that all the work could
not be processed through our system in a single day, which defeats the goal of

being "highest on <enter date>".

Our network (consisting of the master and fullproxies) is tuned for the typical

daily workload.  A big enough burst of activity can saturate the fullproxies,
draining their supply of work units and blocking flushes from everyone.  The
keymaster then gets hammered by the fullproxies as they try to pass along the
work submitted.

Waiting to flush can also mean someone else may submit the same work unit
before you.  In this case, your work will be discarded as a duplicate, and you

won't get any stats credit.

A single user isn't likely to cause this kind of problem, but we'd prefer you
let the clients and proxies manage the workload in a fairly default manner, to

keep the whole system working properly.
__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS Business Services
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com/

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

	rc5 at lists.distributed.net

	07/24/2001 16:51