[RC5] possible third project...

bwilson at fers.com bwilson at fers.com
Thu Jul 26 08:07:48 EDT 2001

Well, my original idea proved to be infeasible in our lifetimes, but it has
sparked a burst of technical discussions about our third/next project.  The RSA

factoring challenges are one we're considering, though the technical
requirements are still great.  If you have other serious suggestions, please
e-mail them to me, and I will pass them on to the rest of the people
discussing.

By "serious", I mean that the project must be achievable by a highly
disconnected, distributed network.  Projects that require all the machines to
share their progress among each other are almost impossible with the current
design of the client, as the default configuration does not cause each
participating computer to check in for days at a time.  We're not above
rewriting the clients to do more peer-to-peer data sharing, or adding more
administration tasks to the personal proxies, but we have to have an achievable

target to justify the effort.
__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS Business Services
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com/

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

	rc5 at lists.distributed.net

	07/26/2001 04:39