[RC5] possible third project...

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Thu Jul 26 19:08:27 EDT 2001

Mathieu Gilbert (wilbrod at videotron.ca) wrote:

> Nice ... that would be a great project, easy to understand and to explain(so
> you can get newbie installing the client even if they don't know anything
> about computers/math/.. not too long to complete ..

Hah!  Factoring even the lowest of the current RSA factoring challenges
is definitely non-trivial.  The fastest know general factoring algorithm
(the Number Field Sieve) can be parallelized in the first stage, but then
the results of the first stage have to be fed to a single large computer
for a few weeks of crunching.

(The RSA-155 challenge, which involved factoring a 155-decimal-digit
number, required several weeks of processing on a 4-CPU Alpha box with
4 GB of RAM.)

> Moreover dnet and someone could make some easy money.

Believe me, any such money would be *earned*. :)

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |