[RC5] possible third project...

Mathieu Gilbert wilbrod at videotron.ca
Fri Jul 27 02:46:51 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Wooledge" <greg at wooledge.org>
To: <rc5 at lists.distributed.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [RC5] possible third project...

>Hah!  Factoring even the lowest of the current RSA factoring challenges
>s definitely non-trivial.  The fastest know general factoring algorithm
>(the Number Field Sieve) can be parallelized in the first stage, but then
>the results of the first stage have to be fed to a single large computer
>for a few weeks of crunching.
>
>(The RSA-155 challenge, which involved factoring a 155-decimal-digit
>number, required several weeks of processing on a 4-CPU Alpha box with
>4 GB of RAM.)

Ok .. but hey .. dnet staff rocks and they WILL find a way to resolve this
problem so i can start annoying my friends with dnet again to make them run
the client :)

Maybe this project should be available only to _very_ fast (800mhz+)
computers.. and fully optimized for Pentium IV.

>> Moreover dnet and someone could make some easy money.
>
>Believe me, any such money would be *earned*. :)

It worth to take more time to find a solution so it'll be easy money!

I might be dreaming heh.. but i would appreciate working on this project.

Mathieu

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net