[RC5] possible third project...

Jonathan Smith jsmith at cygnacom.com
Fri Jul 27 16:50:45 EDT 2001

Of course we could not use the general number field sieve.  We could just
brute force try the "keyspace", just like we are doing for rc5-64.  Based on
RSA's web site we know that each number has only two factors.

	"Each number is the product of two large primes, similar to the
	modulus of an RSA key pair. "

By emailing RSA using the supplied contact in their factoring challenge faq
http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/challenges/factoring/index.html
we can get the code used to create the random numbers, this should allow us
determine the approximate sizes of the numbers involved, because I image
that the software sets boundary conditions to prevent the factors from being
of hugely different sizes.

Then just hand out ranges of numbers inside this boundary to clients and let
them
try dividing the contest number by each number in the range. **
If the result was an integer then you are done and have found both factors.

This has the advantage of being ridiculously parallel, with very low
bandwidth
requirements making it ideal for a distributed.net project.  It eliminates
the
final sieve required by the general number field sieve algorithm and with it

the huge singe machine cpu and memory requirements.

So we don't have to use the best scheme, we could just try throwing enough
computers
at the problem to do it the hard way.

	Jonathan Smith
--
** Clearly their are various optimizations possible, since we know that the
factors are prime