[RC5] possible third project...

Basil A. Daoust basildaoust at home.com
Fri Jul 27 17:51:07 EDT 2001

http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/challenges/factoring/faq.html
The RSA Factoring challenge is an effort, sponsored by RSA Laboratories, to learn
about the actual difficulty of factoring large numbers of the type used in RSA keys.
A set of eight challenge numbers, ranging in size from 576 bits to 2048 bits is
posted here. Each number is the __product_of_two_large_primes__, similar to the
modulus of an RSA key pair.

I suppose I should go read about this Field Sieve process but it sounds like a
general solution to factoring and if I understood the RSA challenge the number is a
factor of just TWO prime numbers.  Does it make sense to use a sieze to find a bunch
of factors for something that has only 2?  OR as I suspect I just don't get it.

Would it not be easier just to see if each prime up to the squareroot of the number
would divide into the number and the result be a prime?  Since calculating the primes
can be easily distributed as per the description it seems that groups of primes could
be distributed for testing against the RSA #.

Basil