[RC5] What others are saying FWD: Re: DC Setiathome group?

tomdv at datatx.com tomdv at datatx.com
Mon Jul 30 13:19:13 EDT 2001

Dear 'Blitz'
Thanks for passing this on. Interesting what the gentleman poses and quite
frankly he has a few points concerning the RC5-contest.
1. It is looking for a needle in a haystack
2. It consumes a lot of power and therefore it is expensive
3. The statistics are lousy
This summarizes what the gentleman wrote.
Consequences:
1. Don't look for a needle in a haystack: buy a new one if you need one.
2. Throw away computers since they use energy.
3. Then don't look at them.
Or should I add more trivial conclusions?
In the mailing list, like the one I'm using now, we discussed many times
over what possible benefits might come or what possible disadvantages
might exist. For the latter, the energy consumption has been raised before
and remain as valid as you make up the figures and compare them with what
you want.
Advantages? Well, people like the gents at dnet are truly learning
something new and sometimes in the mailing list, some of that knowledge is
exposed for a broader audience: like the question on LIFO-FIFO on OGR and
it's consequences...
For the shooting at the statistics, that is one of the ways of getting
people to join the effort. If some assumptions are made, the so be it.
Dnet always asks for people to help: so anyone with good ideas, enough
knowledge and last but not least, the time, can join and help developing.
As a more general note: 'what other people think' is relevant to the
extent that it brings new insights. Alas for the contribution of the
gentleman, 'nil nove sub sole' (nothing new under the sun, yep, that was
Latin).
So far my contribution,
Tom